Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

-Albert Einstein

Friday 3 June 2011

Hello Virtual World!!!

I remember the excitement whenever a postcard or a letter addressed to me or anyone in my family used to arrive. The feeling is heavenly when it is from someone you personally know. Fighting with siblings to open it first, it was a pleasure.

Nostalgic are those beautiful days. Today, I wonder if people even remember how a letter looks like. In the near future, children will learn about the art of letter writing probably in their history classes. Such is the influence of electronic media in our lives today.

Today the world of social networking rules the world. I'm not against these networking sites at all. In fact, I'm a part of this phenomenon. Yeah, I said phenomenon because it's revolutionized our thought process, social life and our language to a great extent. It's "coz" now instead of because, "ttyl" instead of talk to you later...I'm sure half of you out there feel its natural!

May be...What was considered outrageous might be a need in the coming days. What you consider weird might be natural in the near future. It has led to a new definition of words. An array of new meanings. Slang is making it's way into the Oxford dictionaries. Words such as OMG, LOL, G2G, TTYL, BFF have been made an official part of the English lexicon. Just imagine, if rules are bent in games like Scrabble, then we could use acronyms like TTYL!!! Bizarre!!!

Everything is changing in this world. Individuals are consumed by networking giants like Facebook and Twitter. Comments, likes, tags, scraps (remember Orkut...Facebook nearly destroyed it), tweets have become an indispensable part of one's life. Traditional photos, slam books, handwritten letters are losing their sheen to their electronic counterparts. It's not just youngsters but individuals of all ages are shedding the old ways of communication. It's the age of digital communication. I can't help but be a part of it. On the contrary, I won't give up all the traditional old means too...Even today I look forward to a letter but the way I handle the excitement is different. If I would have been reluctant to change, I wouldn't have been blogging today!!!

I welcome change. Change is on the go. But, traditional letters and scrapbooks are still dear to my heart. I cherish those days but enjoy the technology bug that's ruling the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment